The Department of the Treasury and External Finance organized, Thursday, June 13th, 2013 at the headquarters of the Ministry of Economy and Finance, a conference on the theme: "The development of the sukuk market " The conference was hosted by Mr. Ghiath Shabsigh, Deputy Director of the Department of Monetary and Capital Markets at the International Monetary Fund.
The conference focused on Islamic finance including sukuk. In this context, the Deputy Director of the International Monetary Fund gave a presentation on the following main areas :
- The principles of Islamic finance ;
- The range of Islamic products including Musharaka certificates and Sukuk ;
- the structure and comparative aspects of Sukuk ;
- the prerequisites of an Islamic public funding ;
- the strategies for the development of a sukuk market.
During the conference, Mr. Ghiath Shabsigh stressed that the use of Islamic finance tools depends on the objectives set by the public authorities (development of a sukuk compartment or point source emissions) to be formalized within the framework of a clear and transparent strategy. He highlighted the benefits of sukuk issuance guaranteed by new assets compared to tools secured by existing assets instruments.